New Year, New Umbrella?

Wednesday 6 January 2016 |

You’re about to endure some indulgent, sentimental, and motivational reflections with the odd inspirational quote thrown in, which can only mean one thing…it’s New Year!

2015 was a tough, punishing marathon of a year, in which bad things happened in threes, fours and fives. The time between January 1st 2015 and January 1st 2016 kind of felt like walking into a dark tunnel completely by mistake, getting lost, but just kind of carrying on walking until I got out the other side. It wasn’t without a few crying selfies. But here I am, still standing (curled up in the foetal position).

Here are a few goals for 2016 and the years ahead because I’m feelin’ good about this year folks…

I’m going to take time to take care of myself. Last year I kind of forgot the basics of looking after yourself and often had to remind myself why it’s a priority; it allows you to do everything you actually want to do. You couldn't pursue goals, look out for others, or feel confident and worthy without brushing your teeth and eating a balanced diet.

 “Courage is rightly esteemed the first of human qualities…because it is the quality which guarantees all others” – Winston Churchill

It’s so important to challenge yourself, but sometimes it’s easy to forget how big the rewards are; even if things don’t work out, you deserve a hug from yourself for trying. I’ve already started making a conscious effort to say ‘yes’ more, but I think putting the pledge in writing will give me the extra nudge I need to really commit. I’m not even joking when I say another of my resolutions is to learn to say ‘no’. As bizarre as it sounds I feel like I say no to fun and say yes to things I neither want or am obliged to do. This needs to change, obvs; I am worthy, world.

If there’s one thing my life is missing, it’s a hobby. This year I am committed to finding my true calling; whether it’s knitting, Zumba or pottery, I am open to whatever it may be. While I’ve always written, it’s never been regular. I love those people who manage to write a book alongside their day job; on packed trains, in between meetings, after the kids are asleep/ before they awake. If nurses, and neuroscientists have time to write, I sure as hell don’t have an excuse.


Thanks for letting me indulge in some soul searching. Who doesn’t love a bit of self-motivation? 

No comments

Post a Comment

Talk to me