5 Things: 2015 Reads

Tuesday 26 January 2016 |

Here are the 5 books I couldn't stop thinking about in 2015, along with mini reviews...enjoy!

·         The Martian, Andy Weir
You don’t need to be a rocket scientist to love this book. The first couple of pages are a bit overwhelming as you’re thrown right into the plot, and begin wondering how the hell Weir is going to get you from here to the last page. I’m far from scientifically minded, but I found myself getting whisked away by maths and complex engineering (I was as surprised as you are), and it was those details I really missed from the movie. Above all, it’s just a really funny book, and if all else fails the wit of the main character will carry you through.

·         The Elegance of the Hedgehog, Muriel Barbery
This is the one book in 2015 which I devoured. I think I read it over 3 days during my final Uni semester, so it was read between seminars, stints in the library, and before bed. Like all good art, the writer finds beauty and delicacy in the mundane. I could have easily read it without plot. But alas, the plot is beautiful also, and you’ll find yourself feeling attached to all the characters in strange ways.

·         Not that kind of Girl, Lena Dunham
I love reading memoirs of women I admire and Lena’s definitely didn’t disappoint. I was so impressed, it’s crazy to think this lady’s not yet 30. It’s best read slowly, in no rush, just picking it up when you need it. I found the reading experience similar to having a close friend pour their heart out to you, and I couldn’t help wanting to respond with things I needed to get off my chest. If you love Lena, you’ll love her book.

·         The Queen of the Tearling, Erika Johansen
This is an amazing book if you just want to switch off your brain for an hour, and let the writer do the work. Johansen has created a unique universe which raises so many questions I still wonder about them to this day. It’s so easy to get lost in the character and story, but there are more interesting layers waiting to be found if you’re looking.

·         Yes Please, Amy Poehler
Before I read this, a book had never brought tears of laughter to my eyes before. Amy Poehler is the comic genius that finally had me rolling around in fits of laughter. She has the power to make everything funny, while also giving out solid lady advice from her own experience. Whether you already love Amy, just want some SNL behind- the- scenes gossip, or if you know nothing about her, the very least her book will do is cheer you up.

No comments

Post a Comment

Talk to me