10 Post- graduation goals

Tuesday 18 August 2015 |


I recently graduated from Uni a matter of weeks ago, and it’s really allowed me to reflect on the last three years as well as what I hope the next few years might bring. So I thought this would be the perfect opportunity to make some goals for the next year or so; some Graduation resolutions if you will. One of my favourite proverbs is ‘You can’t score without a goal’. With that in mind, here they are!

 Catch up
Even though I stayed in the city I grew up in for University, let’s face it, Uni takes up so much time, it’s hard to fit people into your schedule who you don’t see every day. With this in mind, now is the time to re- connect with the people who I’ve known since I came out of the womb, and who still probably know me best despite not spending nearly enough time with them for the last 3 years. Cue plenty of 5 hour Starbucks catch ups…we have 3 years to get through…

 Get organised
Before I went to Uni I was an organisational goddess. I loved stationary, I even owned a Filofax; picture a Monica Gellar figure if you will. But 3 years of too much free time, procrastination and sometimes (always) dull lectures has rid me of any organisational skill I once possessed. I miss being on time and knowing what’s going on in my life! I can’t say I’ll ever pay £20 for a Filofax again any time soon, but watch this space…

Save
No matter how much you disagree with giving up to 6 months of your time and energy to an organisation for free- also known as SLAVE LABOUR- you can’t deny it is a big part of the graduate jobs market. While they may be brilliant for a privileged handful of graduates whose mummy or daddy can support them for a few months, the rest of us aren't so lucky. The next year will be SAVE CENTRAL.

Books glorious books
If, like me, you've spent 3 years pouring over dull textbooks, and in my case, a dissertation period reading what felt like ALL feminist literature, you will be as excited as I am at the prospect of reading NOVELS. Novels, it’s been such a long time. I can’t wait to binge read trashy rom- coms (Nicholas Sparks, I've got my eye on you), before dipping my toes into some classics. Already on my list are The Martian, by Andy Weir and a re- read of Amy Poehler’s epic, Yes Please

Travel
I’ve had the travel bug since I was 10 when I travelled with my friends to Sweden with school. I’ve since been to France a few times, Australia, Holland, and the list goes on…With the exception of a few European trips the last 3 years have been spent in England. If I don’t get on a plane soon, I’m afraid I might lose my mind. You can’t beat the feeling of excitement of stepping out of an airport and arriving somewhere you’ve never been. I love researching different places around the world, and I can’t wait to finally explore them. Top of my list are the East coast of America, and Scandinavia.

 Volunteer volunteer volunteer
I’ve volunteered a couple of times before and I love the feeling of having a positive effect on someone’s life. Someone once said to me there are no jobs in charities and I know that’s a lie. Charities are something I’d love to be involved in.

Cleanse
While I know for a fact I’m among the healthiest students, 3 years of free dominos for students in freshers, and the cheap alcohol of student bars has definitely taken its toll on my body. I genuinely love living a healthy lifestyle, and feel more myself when I do. I've been dwelling on the idea of giving up alcohol for a while now, but I keep putting off taking the plunge. When will there be a better time to get healthy for good? BEN & JERRY’S THOUGH.

Keep learning
While I couldn’t be happier that lectures, seminars and endless essays are over, I don’t ever want to forget why I went to Uni in the first place; I love learning. Whether it’s from books, documentaries or museums, I’m going to try and keep learning something new every day.

Health
I’ve been ill for the last 3 months. At one point I was bed bound for about 4 weeks, and even had to miss my final exam. Thankfully I’m on the mend and slowly noticing improvements. But it’s been one of those times in life which has made me feel extremely grateful for the smallest things; being able to walk, cook meals, bend down to pick up my niece, and most of all, having loving family and friends who can support me. I never want to take good health for granted again!

Treat yo self

In this period of change, stress and, in my case anxiety, it’s important to remember not to be too harsh on yourself. It’s so important to look after yourself, and especially in stressful times such as starting a new job, moving to another city, or just generally being busy. I’m someone who needs to keep myself busy to be productive. As much as I love this, I’m also a big fan of clearing plans for a day or an evening to spend some quality time with myself. ‘Me- time’ includes a hot bath, a face mask, chocolate and a film. In the spirit of Tom and Donna in Parks and Recreation make sure you give yourself a break and treat yo’ self.

No comments

Post a Comment

Talk to me