Turn that frown upside down

Thursday 17 March 2016 |

When I am in a bad mood, I'm in a really bad mood. It doesn't happen very often any more, but it's like the ones I do have make up for it. So I'm speaking from experience here; I know how to get out of a low mood rut. Whether it's that time of the month, you're stressed, or people are just bumming you out, here are the 10 things that never fail to put a smile on my face.

1.    Watching your favourite movie or tv show from your childhood... As a child of 1993, nineties nostalgia brings me so much joy. My go-tos are Mrs Doubtfire and Drop Dead Fred.

2.    Going outside… When you’re not feeling yourself, venturing into the outside world can feel like the last thing you want to do, but it’s actually the best thing you can do. The sun on my face makes me grin like a weirdo.

3.   Exercise... It took me like 18 years to figure this out, but it’s true; getting physical boosts your mood. You don’t have to leave your house; my cardio of choice is crazy dancing to BeyoncĂ©.


4.    Grabbing a coffee with your nearest and dearest…going for a healthy 3 hour + catch up with my oldest friends leaves me feeling like we can do anything.

5.    Cooking a meal from scratch…. I find cooking so therapeutic. It makes me so happy I could sing- and I usually do. Listen to your favourite album while cooking your favourite meal? 


6.    Planning a holiday or a day out… It’s so important to give yourself something to look forward to. Not only will this cheer you up immediately, it will make the hard work easier and the long days shorter.

7.    Having a day time bath…there is literally no better way to ease your stress/anxiety than a bath. Especially on a summer’s afternoon.

8.    Writing it down… You’ll feel an enormous weight off your shoulders. Writing in a journal usually helps me think clearly too.

9.    Treat yoself… If you have funds to spare, why not spend your way to happiness?


10. If all else fails…buy yourself a big ol’ tub of ice cream. It’s good for the soul. 

No comments

Post a Comment

Talk to me