Ladies who Rock

Tuesday 22 March 2016 |


Joni Mitchell…all hail Queen Joni. She was the first singer songwriter to completely blow me away. If you’ve never listened to her, stop reading this and get to Spotify. I’d recommend starting with songs like, “California”, “Chelsea Morning”, and “Clouds”. Once you’re initiated, go ahead and listen to the masterpiece that is Blue from start to finish; my sister got me an original copy of Blue on vinyl for my 21st birthday and I reached peak Joni.

Ella Fitzgerald…I challenge anyone who says her Christmas album Ella Wishes You a Swinging Christmas isn’t the greatest festive album of all time


Billie Holiday…she could sing my phone bill and I swear I would still get chills.

Jenny Lewis…so it turns out I low- key like country music?

Beyoncé…every album of hers has further confirmed my love and admiration for her. She was once criticised for not speaking out about racial relations in the US, but has any reasonable person got a single argument against her since Formation?


Taylor Swift...I was sceptical at first but then came Red, shortly followed by Lena Dunham becoming friends with her, and the rest is history.

The Stavesthe folk girl gang.


Nina Simone…she’s an absolute hero who weirdly nobody seems to talk about. Her performances were always amazing and she could say so much by saying so little. I’d highly recommend watching What Happened, Miss Simone? if you want to know more about her. 

No comments

Post a Comment

Talk to me