An Ode to Spring

Tuesday 15 March 2016 |

The link between my mental health and the sun is palpable at this time of year. We’re on the verge of Spring; we’re not quite there yet but we’re getting tasters of the real thing every day, just enough to excite me when I wake up to the sun streaming through the curtains.

The feeling of excitement for the day just isn’t something I experience in winter. I wish I was one of those people who are at 100% all year round, who could be in a blizzard and still be up n’ at ‘em. Me? I’m type A for 6 months of the year, and for the other half type B would be a generous assessment. It’s not that I don’t know Spring is coming and the gloom will be over soon, it’s just that I can’t see it; at least not when it’s 6am on 8th of February and 1 degree everywhere but my house, which I have to leave.


So when, on one March day, I can leave the house  without scarf/hat/gloves, and when the next day  there’s still sunlight at 6.30pm, and the day after  that I actually want to go outside and enjoy the Sun,  you can imagine my brain’s excitement. Don’t even  get me started on how much joy spotting the first  cherry blossom brings me.

The best thing about pre- spring is the knowledge  that it’s only going to get better from hereon in. It’s  just like the relief of getting to the top of a long hill,  knowing that the rest of your journey will be so  much easier. No more running in 3 layers of  jumpers (who am I kidding? I don’t run in winter).

This Saturday I had my windows open all day and  purged the house of what was left of winter; the  need to be cosy all the time, hot chocolate  cravings, the longing to have a log fire, wanting to  watch It’s a Wonderful Life twice a week. I let all the  new vibes in; a constant urge to listen to show  tunes, cravings for salad and fruit, the energy to  exercise, the determination to power through the  pile of books on my bedside table.

So here’s to spring cleaning, birds singing and actually wanting to get out of bed in the morning!


Happy pre- spring- go get em’! J

No comments

Post a Comment

Talk to me