Everyone can do something: my thoughts on the environment, food, and the future.

Tuesday 25 August 2015 |

I’ve made some changes to my diet and lifestyle recently so I thought I would share. Bare in mind this is just my own experience based on what I’ve learnt, and I’m by no means trying to impose that on others. I just think we should educate ourselves before we make choices.
So many industries which people in the west rely upon are exploitative and destructive to humans, animals, and the planet. It can be overwhelming to research, but there is no denying that the huge demand for products on a mass scale is, in many cases, having disastrous consequences. Now, I’m no hippy. But I recognise that it’s no longer good enough to assume somebody else is solving all of the world’s problems, as soon enough our generation will be expected to come up with answers. (Jack’s piece on the subject hits the nail on the head). The future is a shared responsibility.

It may sound silly when compared to the enormity of the problem, but for me, giving up meat and dairy is the easiest way I can make a small change which could have a greater impact. While I can’t afford to only purchase organic, sustainable clothing right now, even though I know most of what I buy was likely made in a sweatshop, that doesn’t mean I’m not allowed to call myself an ethical consumer in other ways. To be ethical doesn’t mean ‘to be perfect’.
With this in mind, about 6 months ago I gave up meat, and dairy soon followed. I gave them both up for obvious reasons. Not only do I believe the needless killing of innocent animals for human pleasure to be unethical, I am also aware of the detrimental effects both industries are having on the beautiful planet on which we live. The meat industry alone does more damage to the environment than all the cars, planes and trains combined. However, one animal product I struggle to say no to was eggs.

I’ve watched documentary after documentary about the horrible conditions hens live and die in, not to mentions the corrupt industry which is exploiting farmers. In spite of all this, and to my annoyance, there’s still nothing much better than a poached egg on avocado toast. So to reconcile my love for eggs and my love for hens, I’ve decided to only buy my eggs from a local farm’s shop, where I can see the happy, healthy hens roaming free, even though they’re a tiny bit more pricy. Happy hens, happy farmer, happy Annabelle.
Remember how powerful you are as a consumer! I believe that with that power, we have a duty to protect the planet and each other and to take responsibility for our actions. Obviously not everyone can turn into a self- sustainable vegan goddess overnight. But everyone making small changes will have a way bigger impact than just a few extreme examples. Everyone can do something.

There are lots of great events you can get involved and small changes you can make such as Meat Free Mondays, buying local or Fairtrade produce, attending your local vegan fair, or even just using public transport instead of a car. Do whatever you can!

No comments

Post a Comment

Talk to me