Weekend Treat

Sunday 29 May 2016 |

Banana bread is my favourite sweet treat to bake because I can convince myself it’s healthy. This one has 3 bananas in and no refined sugars, so it’s about as healthy as a cake is going to get. I use Jamie Oliver’s recipe because it’s the simplest I’ve come across; I could probably make it with my eyes closed at this point. If you want a little more indulgence I highly recommend smothering a slice with peanut butter or Nutella and thank me later…

All you need to make this light treat is

·         3 overripe bananas
·         2 tbspn apple juice
·         125g unsalted butter
·         2 large eggs
·         ½ tspn ground cinnamon
·         2 tbspn runny honey

1.    First you’ll need to preheat your oven to 180C and grease a loaf tin using either olive oil or butter, then lightly dust with flour.

2.    Peel the bananas and mash them with a fork in a mixing bowl until they’re an unsightly mix of smooth and lumpy. Then add apple juice and stir.

3.    In a separate bowl, cream the butter. (This is the trick bit which I think counts as a workout). The crack in and beat the eggs one at a time.

4.    Fold in the rest of the ingredients, being careful not to over mix

5.    Spoon the mixture into the loaf tin and cook for around 40 minutes. Lick the bowl and spoon.

6.    Leave it to cool for 10 minutes then dive in!


Remember not to feel guilty after eating this weekend treat; each slice (probably) contains one of your five a day. For best results, enjoy with a cup of tea. 

No comments

Post a Comment

Talk to me