Let's Get Real: TV

Friday 3 June 2016 |


Gone are the days when TV was all about escaping your boring life and living out your dreams through SJP on Sex in the City, and pretending to be a spoilt rich kid on The O.C. Don’t get me wrong, I love diving back into those box sets once in a while, but mostly I’m all about the here and now; I want to RELATE, people. I don’t love reality TV (unless I’m nursing a hangover and the Kardashians are on, of course) but give me a storyline a tad close to the bone and you’ve got me hooked. Here are some of my down-to-earth TV favourites that will have you shouting, “I hear ya!”.

WARNING: Don’t watch any of these with your parents

Broad City
This show began its life as a web series, so it’s safe to say it had humble beginnings. It follows Abby and Ilana, who are two twenty-something year olds trying to figure their lives out in New York City, but find themselves not getting very far. Definitely watch this if you’re feeling low about your achievements, it will have you whispering YAS KWEEN, in no time. And how can you resist a Hillary Clinton cameo?

Girls
If you haven’t watched Girls yet, you’ve either been living under a rock for 5 years or you’re moving in the wrong circles. Created by the goddess that is Lena Dunham, the show has broken boundaries and brought us stories that are sometimes crazy, but often universal. I have cried, laughed, been repulsed and amazed by Girls, and I would recommend it to any woman or man. Expect plenty of self-realisation storylines and lots of lessons learnt. The most accurate portrayal of what it’s like to be a young woman in my books. The writing is never lazy or predictable. The most recent season left me with shivers after every episode.

Inside Amy Schumer
This is another show which has seemingly insane storylines but actually reveals universal truths that every woman will be able to relate to. Amy Schumer plays a version of herself, in many strange scenarios and with a boat load of cameos .I am in awe of how honest Amy Schumer is, and she never fails to make me howl with laughter. Just trust me and watch it, okay?

Master of None
I didn’t really know what to expect when I added to this to my Netflix list; all I knew was that it starred and was written by Aziz Ansari, so it was bound to be good. Turns out I wasn’t prepared for quite how complex and multi-faceted it would be, not to mention how freakin stylish. It’s safe to say it’s right up my street. You can definitely enjoy this if you just want a laugh, but also if you want to learn something and have a think. One episode focuses on what it’s like to be a second generation ethnic immigrant compared with what their parents went through, and another explores the absurdity of racial stereotyping in Hollywood. It’s safe to say all bases are covered.


Happy Weekend!

No comments

Post a Comment

Talk to me